The Keys to Happier Living Toolkit is an
engaging, accessible and evidence-based programme to promote the
emotional wellbeing and resilience of children aged
There are two versions of the Toolkit, one for ages
5-7 and the other for ages 7-11. You can
use the form below to find out more and access the online ordering
Both versions are based on the Action for Happiness
Ten Keys to Happier
Living framework and have been piloted in
primary schools with appropriate age groups. Qualitative feedback
was very positive and quantiative analysis showed significant
improvements in wellbeing and other areas. The toolkit for ages
7-11 was also previously awarded the PSHE Association Quality Mark.
The Toolkits are available to order online and cost
£80 each for unlimited access to all resources for
a full academic year. They consist of a set of downloadable digital
resources which can be used/printed by the school as needed:
- Toolkit for Teachers: full teaching materials
covering an initial assembly and 11 subsequent lessons, with ideas
for ongoing reinforcement
- Journal for Children: each child receives
their own journal to help embed learning
- Journal for Adults: to help staff embed the
ideas in their own lives too
- Information Leaflet: for Parents and Carers
about the Keys to Happier Living
- Extensive supporting resources available to download
An Information Leaflet with some general activities has also
been developed for teachers to introduce younger children (ages
4-5) to the GREAT DREAM framework. This is included in the
downloadable resources for the Toolkit ages 5-7.
"A fantastic toolkit which has been shown to bring considerable
benefits. Teachers will especially appreciate the huge array of
ideas and creative resources. This program fills a vitally
important gap in our schools and I highly recommend it" ~
Sir Anthony Seldon
"I strongly believe that the earlier we
teach children how to look after themselves and others, the happier
and more successful they will become, and this Toolkit provides the
resources to do just that. Highly recommended!" Adrian
Bethune (Toolkit 5-7)
"Provides a wide variety of stimulating and
creative ideas for developing skills that support happier living
and wellbeing in the lives of pupils and parents/carers" ~
PSHE Association (Toolkit 7-11)
The toolkit has been developed by Peter
Harper and Val Payne along
with Shannon Thorne and Tamarin
Butcher for KS1 and with support from Action for
Add your details below to find out more:
Feedback about the toolkit
The toolkit has received positive feedback from parents, children and teachers:
- "My daughter came home with her happier living journal and I would just like to compliment it. Wellbeing is so key. I love the fact that my children are being taught such things at school"
- It was very helpful and helped me in my life"
- "I think all schools should teach these lessons"
- "The sessions have given the children the chance to think about the things they can do in their everyday life to improve their own and other's lives"
- "The children really enjoyed having time to reflect on each of the keys. They linked them to their own lives and it offered a good opportunity for them to be thankful for all they have"